[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 22:31:13 -0400

> But the M8 is a very expensive digital camera. So unless you have some extra
> cash it may not be justified.
> Much cheaper to buy a Digital Rebel, or for those with Nikon glass a D40x,
> and use that. $700 is a lot less that $5,000.
> Especially when you know the digital body will be obsolete in only a few
> years, much different than when we had film bodies that would not be
> obsoleted so quickly.

Peter I'm talking about adding to a system not starting a brand new one.
For someone with a full set of Leica glass as I have a digital body being
expensive is not a surprise and is cost effective.
Not quite for me though its just a little buggy and though I might be able
to swing it I could not swing for sure the M8.3 which does not rely on
cutoff filters in front of every lens.
... And has Auto ISO.
I would then have ten grand worth of cameras. One which worked as I liked it
too. And that's not my price bracket.

But preaching to the Rollei Crowd here on this list many of these people are
invested in the Rollei 6000 series and are used to spending thousands not
hundreds on bodies and glass.

Mark William Rabiner