[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:28:41 -0700

Even if the M8 was cheaper, for me it is still a commercially irrelevant tool. A similar situation occurred in the 80's when Rollei switched to an unreliable electronic camera, the SLX series, 6002, 6006 inclusive. Fortunately I had a couple TLRs tucked away in the trunk or a Hasselblad. All too often I was tuck in the middle of (photography) nowhere, and a motor would go out, the battery would die, a mirror flap would break a part, gears would strip, etc. Frankly, I do not go out on a limb, with my work, over a miss guided product loyalty. On the other hand, I'll even use a plate camera, if I see fit, on personal projects.

Slobodan

Much cheaper to buy a Digital Rebel, or for those with Nikon glass a D40x, and use that. $700 is a lot less that $5,000. Especially when you know the digital body will be obsolete in only a few years, much different than when we had film bodies that would not be obsoleted so quickly.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Price of Analog hardware was very expensive if you wanted good
> stuff-Noctilux, Lihoff with Zeiss glass etc. I think that the cost of film > and processing depends very much on the style of shooting. Thirdly, the > price of film and processing has been radically lowered in Hong Kong at
> least. Thanks to digital.

Marvin most this stuff you name here, Noctilux, Zeiss glass in not
exclusively in the analog realm at all.
Work done with this glass on film cameras can be scanned;
Or digital backs can be used.
Many people are using a Noctilux on their M8's for digital captures.
Though it gives them in effect a 66.5mm f1 lens.

In SLR camera systems a DSLR is just a seemingly minor edition.
Just another body.
But then you realize in your work - output its not just an SLR with a D in
the front of it. Its a bit more enabling than that.

But all your glass is going to work or most of it. You're lenes just get a little longer but that's not a big deal just get one wider than you had before and you're even. Or more than even as you have an in effect a longer
lens on your long end as well.

Mark William Rabiner

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬