[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:03:25 -0400

Hi Peter,

Nothing I said was a justification (though I've been listening to digital
justification and self proclaimed digital experts - present company
excluded - for a decade claiming 2-3M "pixels" was better than 35mm film
etc.).  I do this (digital imaging equipment design) for a living, and have
been for some 30 years.  I spend a lot of time specifically dealing with
image fidelity (and design some tools to test this as well).  I  know what
digital medium can do, and what film medium can do.  I didn't making any
claims as to which is better/worse from an amorphous "image quality"
perspective, that is a personal opinion.  But, when talking about strict
image fidelity, digital does not have as high an image fidelity (accuracy of
reproduction) when comparing unit area to unit area, much less , 56mm x 56mm
film vs an APS sized sensor (Rollei vs XTi).  That *really* just doesn't
hold any water (to say the least) from my experience.

Of course, all this depends on a lot of factors, how well the image is
exposed, and in the case of film, how well it's developed, and what film
you're talking about etc.  So, it's really amorphous to talk about this
without specifics...but in the case of 56x56 vs 17x24, there isn't much of a
prayer, except in some extreme circumstance.  I guess a an A with the
mismatched Tessar using Delta 3200 vs a Canon XTi with L glass at
100ASA...may stand a chance.

Regards,

Austin