[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 02:21:05 -0400

At 02:11 AM 5/30/2008, FRANK DERNIE wrote:
>Sorry Marc, Peter is right. All digital cameras come
>with bundled software necessary to process and print
>pictures taken with them. Photoshop is unnecessary.
>Most cameras and photoprinters even come with a direct
>link so you can print direct from the camera to the
>printer without a computer at all. I have not used
>them myself but I am advised they are very good.
>I shot Kodachrome and printed onto Cibachrome (later
>Ilfochrome) in my own darkroom for over 20 years.
>Going digital has improved the quality of the prints I
>make very considerably, though I don't have the latest
>model camera or printer. I scan my Rollei negatives on
>a Nikon 8000 scanner then print digitally by the way.
>I can not comment on B&W, I have done very little
>since the 1970s.

Hmm. Understand that I already own all of the stuff necessary to take pictures and to develop and print them. I do not need to add anything save to find the space for a darkroom to do so.

Even without Photoshop or like software, the cost is still prohibitive for high-end work:

camera          at least $800
lenses take your pick, but at least $250 or more for a single one printer a high-end printer is going to run several thousand dollars dedicated computer $1200 or more (I am running on a 2002 Pentium Four, by the way) specialty inks several hundred dollars, with the need to restock frequrently specialty papers about the same, with usage controlling total price, of course

Again, I already have all of the darkroom gear and tanks and reels and cameras and chemistry and paper und so weiter. It is difficult to see how a decent digital set-up can be had for much under $5,000 and it could easily go a lot more, say, with a Leica M8.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!