[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:48:24 -0700

I tested one a week ago. It squeaked like a rubber mouse every time I fired off a shot.

Otherwise, if you're already in the 1.6x system, it's a great camera.
But beware that it has very poor white balance in anything other than sunlight.
On the other hand, the 40D has a $200 rebate going on right now.
Canon at the same time is doing a $50 rebate to any current 30D, Xti, and 40D owner. That would make a $250 discount for a 40D. Which might make the 40D a better purchase all round.
s.d.

On May 28, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Marvin Wallace wrote:

I think I'm sold on the Rebel ill give one a try.
Thanks,
Marvin.

From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Wed, 28 May 2008 06:52:43 -0700

Marvin,

A very subjective question. If you own old Nikon lenses then a Nikon DSLR will allow you to use them. Canon changed the mount. The quality of the two are very similar. The major difference is the price. Canon has a edge in price with a 12MP Canon Rebel runs about $570 while a 10MP Nikon D80 runs $750. Lenses are comparable. Both make mediocre consumer grade lenses and
very good higher end lenses.
Stay away from the Nikon D40, it is old generation electronics which is why it sells for much less. If I could suggest Buy the Canon Digital Rebel and the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens. The lens is absolutely superb. Equal to or
better than the Canon 17-55 at half the price.
I have used both Nikon and Canon. Had the Nikon D300 for a while but I do not care for the Nikon interface, although with this new D300 they improved it a great deal but at a price ($1800). The Canon interface for me is much
simpler to use and lighter. Yes, it is plastic but so is every other
camera.
I do not hammer nails in the wall with my cameras anymore, gave it up a few
years ago when I sold my Rapid Omega. But to each his own.

Peter K

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:18 AM, <marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am about to buy a camera and would like to ask if the Canon or Nikon
SLR
system is better.
Regards,
Marvin.