[rollei_list] Re: Dev or Camera prob?

chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Richard, David
Thanks for your replies.
To come back to some of Richard's questions:

I'm assuming the frames were within the core of the (plastic) reel as they were the last frames / first to be loaded.

The tank's instructions specify the paddle stick for agitation but I have always used inversion (apart from the first agitation burst) purely because that seemed to be the general consensus - if its possible to have a consensus on agitation! I probably will give the twirling scheme a go for the next few rolls as quite apart from this 2 frame debacle I occasionally see very slightly lightened skys on the left and right of the frame so its worth experimenting with the agitation scheme.

I'm no chemist - whats the idea behind the addition of the alcohol to the flo mix? Wont hurt to try it anyway.

My guess is, alcohol drastically reduces the water's surface tension, which allows a more positive flow of the solution from the film, thereby avoiding remaining drops that dry and leave marks.

keith whaley

Re dust I;m now getting pretty clean looking negs 'off the rail' however my scanner has a glass carrier to keep the negs flat and this is a complete SOB to keep clean.

An idea I had re the problem is that it might have been due to a loose winding of the roll so on removing the camera there would be some light leak - however this would probably smear across the edges and in any case the effect would be to lighten the positive so perhaps this is not very plausible?

rgds Chat

On 8/9/06, *Richard Knoppow* <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: <chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx>> To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:12 PM Subject: [rollei_list] Dev or Camera prob?

> Hi Listers > Wonder would you have any forensic thoughts on a rather > perplexing image I > recently made with my rollei? I've attached the scan here > http://www.rollei-gallery.net/chatanooga/image-95531.html > - . > Okay, I got dust problems and you can also see some > strange white trace > marks. This was my first time using photoflo and I > attribute these marks to > be drying stains from an overzealous application of it. > However my main > concern is the general 'muddiness/darkness/crappiness' of > the pic. The image > is supposed to be a seascape on a bright sunny > day.....but ended up looking > like a monsoon. > Whats intriguing is that only this frame (#12) and its > predecessor were like > this; all the others were absolutely fine. The 2 shots > were taken together > after an interval of no more than a few days from the > first 10 pics. Film > was panF 50 + rodinal developed in a patterson plastic > tank. This is a > combination I've stuck to since starting my own > development and up to now it > has been fine. > rgds > Chat > I have a couple of questions Do you know where the two frames were on the developing reel, that is, were they near the core of the real or the outside? What kind of agitation does this tank require, that is, inversion or twirling the reel? The symptoms look like uneven development.

       Instead of straight Photo-Flo use the following mixture.
    If your water is not clean use distilled water. I use local
    tap water without problems but its pretty clean.

Final Rinse Water 1.0 liter Isopropyl Alcohol, 70% 35.0 ml Photo-Flo 2.5 ml

    70% Isopropyl is the usual drugstore rubbing alcohol, you
    can use stronger Alcohol by adjusting the amount, its not
    critical. Just be sure to get rubbing alcohol that has no
    flavorings, like Oil of Wintergreen, added.

    Rinse  film in this mixture for about 1 to 2 minutes after
    washing with some agitation. Then hang up to dry without
    squeegeeing.  A good way of getting a dust free space to dry
    in is to use a stall shower. Run the shower for a few
    seconds then hang the film.

       I've used Rodinal 1:25 and 1:50 for a number of kinds of
    film in the past using Nikor type stainless steel tanks and
    never had any special problems with it. I mostly use Rodinal
    for LF sheet film because of the grain. I don't think your
    problem is due to the developer.

    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--- Rollei List

    - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with 'subscribe'
    <http://www.freelists.org>

    <mailto:rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with
    'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
    www.freelists.org <http://www.freelists.org>

--- Rollei List