[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:39:37 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:25 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

The point I am making Marc is that your prices are wildly out. You could go digital for much less than you seem to believe. The prices are no longer exorbitant, particularly for printers (which you can do without anyway). Bob was around rather a lot of digital generations ago for his then opinions to have any validity now. I am not expecting to ever need to upgrade any of my digital cameras again.
Frank

    For quite good quality you need:
A "deluxe" digital camera, perhaps $500 to $800 US
A decent computer, perhaps $1500 US
An image editor, may come with the camera, otherwise use Gimp which is freeware. A decent printer, again perphaps $500 to $1000 but this is getting high end and quite good printeres can be had for a couple of hundred. Its helpful to have an optical calibrator for the monitor. Prices vary from less than $100 to several hundred dollars but the low cost ones are good enough. I still prefer CRTs to flat screen but they are obsolescent if not obsolete and color CRTs are no longer made. So, for good digital reproduction we are talking about somewhere on the order of $2500 US. A bit more or less depending. Very high end stuff is more expensive but the cameras and backs are used mainly for very high end advertising photography. There the economic advantage is still with digital because of the immediate availability of the images. If you want decent snap-shots one can get good quality at about half the above price.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA