[rollei_list] Re: Copyright Law

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 02:17:20 -0500

At 01:30 AM 12/2/2009, David Sadowski wrote:
>Congress has extended the length of copyright protection on a number
>of occasions.  But in each case, they simply said that something that
>was currently under copyright would retain that status for a longer
>period.  That is not "ex post facto law," as someone claimed.
>
>Anything that was in the public domain already when these various
>extensions were passed stays that way.

Thank you, David. However, the US Government does take the position that matters in the public domain had their copyright revived with the various extensions. The issue is most murky -- to date, there has only been one case dealing with it, and that tangentially, and no one really wants the matter taken before the Roberts Court, which would almost certainly adopt your position. The European Union would be unhappy at that, as they want the copyright revival to be the universal norm.

Project Guttenberg is an archive of scanned books. To get them to include a work, you have to go to far lengths to prove that the publication really is in the public domain. (I was at the edge of a project several years ago to get the works of H Beam Piper onto Guttenberg, and I know the care they take to ensure that a work is not subject to copyright.) GoogleBooks, on the other hand, just scans and posts and sees if anyone objects. (If they are uncertain, they will just post a precis of the book and the publications details.)

Again, we really will not know the real state of the law until the matter has been fairly presented in the Federal courts.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!