[rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:57:39 -0600

Hi Eric,

> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:41:32 -0500
> From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Neil -
>
> It appears to me that the difficulty you are having is thinking at the
> extremes. Clearly, if there is zero contrast, there is zero "signal,"
> so from that point of view they are not independent. However, they are
> independent for the many f/stops between zero contrast and full
> contrast where the eye can still discriminate the line (detail or
> resolution) above zero contrast.
>
> I think if you saw images of the differences between the two types of
> airy discs, this would become clearer. I wish I could find this on the
> web; thus far I have been unsuccessful...

No need to search for examples of these airy discs, as I have seen such
examples in optics texts and physics books, and understand the
implications with regard to perceived sharpness that you (and others) have
already presented. My puzzlement over the independence of contrast and
resolution has been cleared up by the numerous references to perception
and notions of "better quality" in this discussion... once again I was
thinking more objectively about the independence of those two variables,
which is probably too extreme to be of use.

Best regards, and thanks again,

Neil