[rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

  • From: Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:17:05 -0800 (PST)

Neil

Perhaps it would help if you recalled the astigmatism test
you had at your optician. You were shown two crossing
lines, of equal resolution but differing in terms of
contrast. As the lenses, and their rotation,  put before
each eye changed, the lines looked increasingly different
--not in terms of actual resolution-- but in terms of
relative contrast. This is probably the best example I can
think of illustrating how clarity of image might be the
same (resolution) while they still might appear vastly
different to the eye.

In my case, I have found that Zeiss lenses produce "better
images" which, for me, means greater contrast. Hence, my
fondness for some Tessars. Tessars may have poorer
resolution in the corners, but, for me, the increased
contrast at the center more than carries the load.

Jerry Friedman