[rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:47:25 -0500

Neil -

As you are familiar with shooting a test chart, a thought experiment
may prove helpful...

Imagine examining the negative of a test lens where the test chart's
hard contrast of black and white lines is reduced to gray and white
lines by the lens. Still, each line (to the limit of lens and film) is
recorded, but the contrast is reduced. The contrast can be
significantly reduced (50%, 75%, more) and still the eye can record
the detail...

Further, think about the effects of apodization on the lens (detailed
in a previous post)... Are the edges of the smallest of the visible
test chart lines darker along the edges or in the center? Further
thought along these lines in this experiment might lead to an insight
of why light energy drawn in the center of the points would lead to a
greater number of smaller lines being recognizable than light energy
drawn on the edges of the points...

Eric Goldstein

--

On 11/9/07, Neil Gould <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: (snipped)