[rollei_list] Re: Computer for PhotoShop CS2

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 19:04:41 +0100

Jeffrey,

I use PS CS2 on an 3yr old iMac (1Mhz, 1Gb RAM) and on a 1 yr old laptop
PC (1.6Ghz, 1Gb RAM). The Mac is faster, can have many 24Mb files (I've
had more than a dozen - bakers' if you like ;-) )open at the same time,
flicking from one to another; it is more stable and easier to use
generally. I have had to learn different commands for each system but
the Mac would be my choice. Ultimately it is down to memory and the Mac
seems to be able to access it much more efficiently.

The trouble is, not so many general programs are available for a Mac but
as I understand, the new Dual Core Intel processor can run both Mac and
PC software side by side and you can cut and paste etc. from one to the
other. Conversley, I do not know if the Dual Core, when used in a PC
will permit running Mac software. I use Virtual PC on the Mac. This is a
slow option but it does get around some obstacles.

There is a strong consensus that graphics are better suited to a Mac.

Hope you had a good trip

John