[rollei_list] Re: Computer for PhotoShop CS2

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:04:44 -0700

At 11:48 PM 8/5/2006 +0100, you wrote:

Jeffery
If you're going to be scanning in color Rollei scans at high-res (eg 4000dpi) then what you really need is memory. I struggle with 1GB when doing a 16bit scan on chromes - files are c. 500MB. If you can simply pop in 4G to your existing machine I would expect very respectable PS performance.

I would agree with just about all the comments made by others, but beware of being able to "simply pop" in 4G to an existing machine. I can "simply pop" in 1G to my system, which was state of the art 3 years ago.

By all means stick with a desktop, and one of the important things to consider is the number of available slots. New systems seem to have less and less slots, and every time you want to add a feature, it seems to require a new interface, and thus a new slot. Also, take a tour of the Microsoft site which covers their new operating system. Although I am content with Windows XP, I was once content with DOS, even CP/M before that. Problem is that as new software comes out, it's often not backwards compatible with earlier operating systems.

Regarding adding hard drives, my recommendation is to get a box that has room for more internal drives. I just changed boxes (ended up with one of those "gamers" boxes with all the lights, etc) but it at least has 10 drive/device slots. Before that I had a couple of drives mounted with home-made brackets, and had added some internal fans. This box, a bit flashy for me, does have good cooling.

Even with my new case, I still have an external modem (preferred, by the way), an external cable modem, and an external card adapter and DVD burner. Also, I still have a 6 port USB adapter even though the basic mother board has 4 USB ports built in. Several of them are just for convenicence, however. I keep all my camera USB cables plugged into the expander all the time, just to avoid losing them in the jumble of stuff I seem to build up here.

Seems that regardless of what I do I end up with an Octopus that looks like a computer. (I'm in a somewhat special situation, running two operating systems. I hope no one else has to go there.)

DAW

Don Williams La Jolla, CA