[rollei_list] Re: Checking shutter speeds...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Checking shutter speeds...

If you're really cheap (like me) you can try this: remove both lens cells. If you don't know how to remove the front and rear cells, ask me or somebody else who knows how. put one or two drops of lighter fluid right on the shutter blades and run the shutter through the speeds starting at like 1/100th and working your way down. If it starts to get sluggish, go back up one speed. Let it dry out COMPLETELY. See how it works. If it's still sluggish at the slow speeds, repeat the process. This works pretty great about 1/2 the time. And a lot of these things are gonna be 1/2 stop slow at the slow speeds by now anyway. So if the one second ends up at a second
and a half, but is consistent, consider yourself a winner.

This is a bad idea and is likely to result in a jammed shutter. If there is any residual oil which can be reached by the solvent it will get all over the shutter blades. They must be very clean and dry. Nor will the solvent reach the vital parts of the mechanism, usually the speed regulator. The usual problem with slow shutters is gummed and dirty lubricant on the trunions of the gears (they don't have real bearings) and on the escapement. Removing the back cell on a Rolleiflex or Cord is hazardous if the shutter is not removed from the camera. You must reach in with something to unscrew the cell with the attendant danger of scratching or gouging it. In order to remove the shutter for a proper cleaning the front of the camera must be opened up and the lens board removed. The difficulty of this depends on the model. Older Rolleis are simpler than the E and that simpler than the F. While it is certainly a doable job I would not recommend it for a valuable camera. I learned Rolleis by buying a couple of very cheap junkers which did not matter, and obtaining all the written material I could find. I will still not undertake some work. I do my own cameras only. I learned shutters because I indulge in LF photography, where the shutters are stand alone. Again, I learned some things the hard way but several types of LF shutters are relatively simple and easy to work on. Most Compur shutters can be brought to life and to new shutter specs.

Los Angeles, CA, USA