[rollei_list] Re: Capa's Cameras

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:32:44 -0400

At 03:49 PM 9/25/2009, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
>Marc, this is part of the article quoting New York Times, Life, US Army, etc.:
>
>Encounter with "LIFE" Photographers
>One day in June 1950, David Douglas DUNCAN, a staff photographer for
>"LIFE," Horace BRISTOL of "FORTUNE," and MIKI, Jun who was actively
>working at "LIFE" as the only Japanese contract photographer there,
>visited our Ohi Plant.
>In reference to their visit, MIKI wrote an article entitled "Nikkor
>and I" in the "Nikkor Club Quarterly magazine No. 26" (issued on
>November 30, 1963), as follows :

Carlos

Don't waste your time copying tripe like this. It is ALL BS. Untrue. These evaluations and tests were cooked so that the Photo Editors would permit their photographers to use Canon and Nikon lenses. They were not valid tests. These tests were repeated in the US by several independent labs and, more significantly, by Zeiss and Leitz, and no distinctions at all could be found. Zeiss even had made the US tests part of the lawsuit the Allied Control Commission refused to allow it to file.

Yes, the Nikon and Canon folks have been making much of these faked tests for six decades but a faked test is a faked test, and all of the advertising hype will not improve the performance of a lens.

And answer the central point: how can an exact copy using the same materials and built to the same standards exceed the original in performance. Riddle me that one, Batman!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!