[rollei_list] Re: Capa's Cameras

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:25:07 -0400

At 02:15 PM 9/25/2009, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

>After the WWII in 1950 some Life photographers (David Douglas Duncan
>among them) discovered visiting the Nippon Kogaku plant that the Nikon
>RF had a sharper lens (Nikkor, the Japanese Sonnar) than the Leica and
>Contax German lenses, they used the Nikkor lenses with Leica IIIc
>bodies for the Korean war and then the Nikon saga started for
>photojournalism...

This is absolute, total bunk, Carlos. The US photographers in Korea used Nikon and Canon lenses on either Leica or Contax bodies not because they were "sharper", whatever that means, but because they were available and inexpensive. Leitz lenses were hard to get in the Orient as production was absorbed in the European and US markets and both CZJ and ZO lenses were just not obtainable anywhere at that time. And the Japanese lenses were inexpensive. I believe it was Duncan who later noted tht, if he had to dig into the dirt, he would rather destroy a $10 Nikon lens than a $200 Zeiss lens.

The early Japanese lenses were exact copies of their German progenitors: the Nikon lenses were even made from Schott optical glass to designs provided the Japanese during WWII by the Germans. These lenses could not be "sharper" as they were exact duplicates. Zeiss wanted to sue Nikon and Leitz wanted to sue Canon but he Allied Control Commission would not allow them to do so as the ACC was trying to convince the Japanese that there was more money in making photographic cameras and lenses than in producing artillery gunsights and submarine periscopes. That restriction was lifted in 1954, and Franke & Heidecke then sued Yashica and handily won the case.

There is a tremendous amount of hype about the use by US photographers of Japanese lenses in the Korean War, but optical quality and performance played no part in this.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!