[rollei_list] Re: Capa's Cameras

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:15:27 -0700 (PDT)

Yes Marc, I had first answered the specific question about the camera used
during the invasion, it is not controversial he had two Contax for that moment;
11 photographs survived about the D-Day, Capa even helped a soldier to reach
the beach that day, this soldier was identified last year in one of the most
famous Capa's 11 images about the D-Day or a few years ago after some errors, I
don't recall his name now, but he's about 86 years old and commented he and his
mother always knew he was the man in the image and he was the soldier Capa
helped to reach the beach, "what is doing this guy here?" thought the soldier.

During the Spanish Civil war-among other cameras- he and Taro used the
Rolleiflex Old Standard.

BTW he used Leica cameras too, but he chose the Contax II for the hardest and
riskiest photographic works up to the Indochina war.
After the WWII in 1950 some Life photographers (David Douglas Duncan among
them) discovered visiting the Nippon Kogaku plant that the Nikon RF had a
sharper lens (Nikkor, the Japanese Sonnar) than the Leica and Contax German
lenses, they used the Nikkor lenses with Leica IIIc bodies for the Korean war
and then the Nikon saga started for photojournalism...

Carlos

--- El vie 25-sep-09, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> De: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>
> >> WHich camera did Capa use while photographing the
> invasion
> >> - Leica or Contax?
> >
> >According several sources, Capa had two Contax II
> cameras with Sonnar
> >50mm lenses  during the D-Day, he also used
> Rolleiflex cameras during
> >the war worldII and during the Spanish Civil war.
>
> Capa quit using Leica after the Spanish Civil War and
> switched to Rolleiflex TLR and Contax RF.  He had an
> Automat with him on the way into the Beach and D-Day and
> used a Contax II for the beachhead shots.  He was
> shooting with a Nikon RF and had the Contax II as a back-up
> when he was killed in French Indo-China.
>
> Marc
>

> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

> with 'subscribe'

> with
> 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org

      Yahoo! Cocina

http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/