[rollei_list] Camera Weights

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Rollei List" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:26:16 -0700

    In the course of my ramblings and visitations today I
discovered and aquired a somewhat shopworn but serviceable
20 lb parcel post scale. While the postage is c.1964 the
pounds and ounces are regulation and a little rust here and
there mearly lends character and testifies to extensive
experience in the weighing up of life's little accounts. So,
being armed with this instrument of potential knowledge I
tested my intuitive judgements as to the amount of gravity
acting on the various cameras of my aquaintance (more than
is acting on this missive).
    The tests were not comprehensive but may be interesting,
to whit:

Rolleiflex Old Standard,           29-1/2 oz.
Rolleifiex MX, Xenar               35-1/2 oz.
Rolleiflex 2.8E, Xenotar           48     oz.
Rolleicord IV                      31     oz.

Nikon F with 50mm, f/1.5 lens      44     oz.

Speed Graphic, 4x5 c.1938 "pre-anniversary" 135mm,f/4.5
Tessar    5 lbs
Miniature Speed Graphic, 101mm, f/4.5 Kodak Ektar        3
lbs,   24 oz.
Anniversary Speed Graphic, with Graflok back, 127mm,f/4.7
Ektar,  6 lbs, 10 oz.
Super-D Graflex, 4x5                        9 lb, 7 oz.

Agfa/Ansco 5x7 Universal View (4x5 back and B&L Tessar)
10-1/2 lbs.

Leica IIIC, 50mm, f/2.0 Summitar            1 lb, 7 oz (22
oz.)

  All measured without cases or accessories.

   The light weight of the Leica is notable. Combined with
its small size it is certainly a very attractive and usable
camera.

   I am now pooped from lifting all this stuff.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx