[rollei_list] Re: Bob Shell Is On Trial

  • From: "Mark A. Kay, M.D., Ph.D." <markay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:50:04 -0700

I do not know Bob and I respect that many here do. I support that the truth come out, and hope that the story is indeed inaccurate. I agree allegations are allegations. So we can look at the Duke lacrosse scenario and see that the original story was false and the prosecutor is getting what he deserves.

I made a statement that if there is truth to the story, the ramifications were more significant than a mistake that occurred during the course of a couple of minutes of poor judgement. I want to clarify my statement and until the truth and story is resolved, lets assume we are talking in generalities.

This is not a story of two people falling in love who are merely 20 years different in age. First, it was about a 40 year difference. Second, the younger person involved had a horrible drug addiction. A person who is almost 60 years of age and hires a person who is 19 years old to work for him is in a position of power over that individual, and hence the employee (especially one who is drug addicted) is in a very vulnerable position. I can assure you that if anything close to this happened in any American company and it was exposed, the elder person in power would be dismissed. Now if you add to this the fact that the elder employer supported the drug addiction in some manner makes this even more clear cut. So I just do not in any way , shape or form do not understand (even if there was no implication of murder), how this boils down to two people who fell in love and happened to be 20 years different in age. After all the discussion today, I was not going to respond further but since my statements were questioned, i wanted to respond. I will not say anything more about this in order to respect the topicality of the forum.

 After seeing the post by jack, I agree this sounds tragic. I agree a
 few moments can change someone's life forever but it seems like if
 the allegations are true, it was more than a few minutes and that Bob
 Shell was on a self-destructive course.  A 60 yo man and a 19-year
 having a love affair is not right, This woman had many problems and
 any 60 yo man who has a sexual love-affair in such a situation is
 tragic.  Of course having a relationship and being accused of murder
 wrongs on a totally different scale.

 At 8:58 AM -0700 8/25/07, Jerry Friedman wrote:
 I have never met Bob, in the flesh. But I have known him
 through his writings and activities and I have always
 admired him for his willingness to share his knowledge and
 his ironic sense of humor. . When I read these news
 reports, my stomach sank.  I just sat there looking at the
 screen. But, allegations are allegations and no more. Let
 us hope that we have not heard all there is here and that
 more information will explain things more completely.  But,
 in any event, let us remember that life is complicated and
 we have all been in difficult situations, if not something
 quite as ....pregnant with potentially  bad results as
 this.

 Jerry

People are quick to think this nowadays and I think its interesting.

If I have an affair with a guy its ok.
If I have an affair with a person of a different religion its ok.
If they're a difference race than me its ok.

But it they're twenty years older or younger than me than its NOT OK!
Its sick sick sick!
Seems a little arbitrary to me.

Obviously this is a barrier which in time is going to go just like the
others have. The last to go proably.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com