[rollei_list] Re: Argomania

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:05:10 -0600

At 07:21 AM 1/9/2010, Dick wrote:

Class-F bulbs were gas-filled flashbulbs with a delay time of 5 ms. These could be used on simple box cameras without synchronizers because the shutter speeds were slow enough. However, they will not work with strobe. The more common flashbulbs were Class-M which have a delay of about 20ms between being fired and the peak of light output. These require a synchronzer, either a magnetic solenoid or an escapement in the shutter. These also, of course, will not work for strobe since the flash will have fired long before the shutter begins to open. Since at Class-X or strobe a shutter is set to trigger the flash when just wide open Class-X can be used with Class-F lamps at fairly slow shutter speeds or with Class-M lamps at quite slow speeds. Class-F lamps have a very short total duration so they provide a modest amount of motion stopping with simple box cameras.

Yes, I know that.  Went through the whole thing over the years.

I'm trying to remember the name and duration of those giant (100W light bulb size) flash bulbs that were wire filled. Perhaps 22 or something like that.

DAW

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx