[rollei_list] Re: "Apples to apples" (was: Surprised)

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:27:27 -0500

At 01:48 PM 3/30/05 -0500, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

>Yes, in terms of date of production you are right.
>
>But what does an M3 compare to in the Rolleiflex world, then, according=20
>to you?

What else but a Rolleiflex made during the life of the M3, that is, say, a
2.8FD, E, or F?  Compare prices, and you will find them of comparable price
in comparable condition.

>Oh, no question about that. But even a 2.8F Rolleiflex TLR - let alone=20
>an E or a D model - is a lot cheaper than a Leica M3.

I bought my M3, just overhauled, seven years back for $450.  I don't
believe that they have moved much since that time.  A recently overhauled
2.8F will probably cost around $600 or more.

>Yes, but using a Jupiter on a Leica defeats much of the point of using=20
>a Leica, dunnit. The heart of the Leica mystique are its lenses! If you=20
>want to use a Jupiter, use it with a Zorki, or at best a Leica III=20
>replica made in Russia or the Ukraine.

This is bunk.  There is no "mystique" to Leitz lenses:  they are simply
excellent lenses.  The Jupiter-3 is a clone of the 1.5/5cm Carl Zeiss Jena
Sonnar T, and certainly will outperform any Summarit ever made or even the
first version of the Summicron.  The Jupiter-8 is a clone of the 2/5cm CZJ
Sonnar T and is certainly as capable of excellent results as is the
Summitar or first-generation Summicron.  (See my LTM lens book for detailed
discussion on these points.)

>By the way, my Jupiter-11 cost me just $10 plus shipping, and my=20
>Jupiter-8 came with my $45 (shipping included) Zorki! And both are=20
>tack-sharp, though probably not QUITE as good as a Summicron.

Which version of the Summicron?  If your Jupiter-3 does not outshoot a
first-generation Summicron at f/1.5, then you should send it back.

>But my point is that an OLD Rolleiflex with an f/2.8 Planar or Xenotar,=20
>that is to say anything made in the sixties or before, is considerably=20
>cheaper on eBay than any OLD Leica M-series complete camera (i.e., with=20
>one f/2 Summicron included) made at about the same time! Right?
>
>... RIGHT?

Wrong. =20

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20