[rollei_list] Re: Apologies to Richard Knoppow

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:20:38 -0400

I like reading about the old lenses - tis from whence we came. What I don't like is all the "rivet counting" bickering - "Is to! Is not!. That definitely puts me to sleep. By the way what day are we referring to in the ubiquitous phase "back in The day"?

Rob

On Oct 25, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Peter K. wrote:

Well, I for one may put it on my "reading to make me fall asleep" pile but I would not waste much time in reading about antiquates lenses. I mean what's the point? At least Shudderbug (as you call it) is a bit more current and we may learn something about composing a photo. Now if Dechert talks about lenses that are current like the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L zoom I may be interested, but honestly the only antique I have any interest in is my Rollei. I do not even like older cars.

Peter K

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
At 11:29 PM 10/24/2009, Eric Goldstein wrote:
Marc -

Like Peter said, I think Jerry misunderstood. I did, too. I also thought that the Coke bottle pejorative was being tossed up against this legendary lens.

Was the 47mm/2 Ektar on the Retina the same as the LTM lens?

I suspect that you folks would better spend your time in reading the voluminous writings of Peter Dechert and coming to know him for the fine scholar he is before jumping to absolutely unwarranted conclusions about his praise for the 2/47 Ektar in a rather noted article in SHUDDERBUG, back in the day.

And buy my LTM lens book, where I cite Peter's comment. Of the hundreds of folks who have read the book, none have ever questioned the spirit intended by Peter when he made the remark.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

Peter K