[rollei_list] Re: Another Early Rollei Serial for Marc

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:19:51 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "john" <raga@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 6:28 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Another Early Rollei Serial for Marc

OK, a bit of a binge on the old Rolleis. I don't suppose members of this list will be too judgmental.

Model: Original
(Hinged back; distance scale on focus knob)
Camera serial: 98737
Machine-stamped in supply-spool chamber: 029923
Year: ?
Taking: CZJ Tessar 3.8/75 # 1294727 (coated) (24mm OD for push-on filter/hood)
Shutter: Compur 100/300 (Serial not fully visible without disassembly)

117-not converted. Accepts 120 Kodak spools with the outer edges clipped around the groove near the outer edge. The last layer or two of paper rode up on the rim of the takeup spool at roll's end, but no edge fogging.Will be posting description/pix of getting camera up and running; and sample pix. (The lens is awesome -- Richard won't be surprised).

Anyone know the significance of the number machine-stamped inside film chamber of this camera?

--John Wilton

The lens dates from 1931, that would make the camera a second version of the "original". Prochnow's dates for this camera are August, 1929 to February, 1932.
This is much too early for a coated lens. Check the back of the lens to see if it looks coated. If it does the lens was probably coated aftermarket. There were a number of services offering coating right after WW-2. If the back does NOT look coated the front is tarnished. This can look like an oil slick or even a bright blue reflection depending on the thickness and uniformity of the tarnish. This tarnish is not a fault, it is what led Harold Dennis Taylor to the discovery of lens coating when he found that tarnished lenses had higher transmission than freshly polished ones. I've seen this tarnish on a few lenes, I have a 1938 vintage Tessar on a Speed Graphic that exhibits it and an old Maximar (similar to a Dagor) with a bright blue front element.
I was going to guess that the stamped number is a date but it would come out to September 23, 1929. If the cameras were held in stock until lenses became available this might make sense but usually lenses are somewhat older than the cameras they are in.
Prochnow gives only a range of serial numbers for all versions of the original, 1 to 199,999. Without knowing how much of the range was used, and whether serial numbers were continuous, its not very useful in determining the exact age.
I have no serial number information on Compur or Compound shutters, I wish I did. However, the top speed being limited to 1/300th is about right for the age of the camera.
I have an "old standard" I built out of two cameras (thanks again to Todd). It is a very nice, light camera, similar in operating feel to my Rolleicord IV. The lens, an f/3.5 Tessar, is quite sharp and I have not noticed any flare problems although the inside of the camera could be more absorbent.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx