[rollei_list] Re: About the 2.8 GX/FX and pre-1981 2.8F

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:23:11 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks Emmanuel, interesting info, since Rollei is
using the 2.8F tooling to manufacture the GX/FX
mechanical parts, it's not a surprise Monsieur Métrot
comment.
The GX changes to receive the Seiko shutters have
nothing to do with the shutter size, they have to do
with Seiko and Copal shutters speeds selector
movement, Prochnow explains the details in the Rollei
Report IV but I haven't read them yet because I
recieved the book yesterday, anyway the changes are
minimal and have relationship with the mechanism used
to show the speeds and f stops in the viewing lens
window.-

All the best
Carlos
 --- bigler@xxxxxxxx escribió:

> There is one interesting feature that Gérard Métrot,
> a skilled
> parisian Rollei expert (Photo Suffren) told me. The
> threads and
> critical spacings to mount the lens on a pre-1981
> 2.8F camera perfecty
> match the modern FX dimensions. In other words, if
> you get a classical
> 2.8F with a perfect body & mechanism but a
> definitely ruined lens, you
> can swap it for a new 2.8FX planar. The camera has
> setting screws to
> perfectly accommodate small differences in focal
> lengths and
> registration.
>
> My understanding is that critical dimensions of a #0
> synchro-compur
> shutter as used in the classical pre-1981 Rollei 2.8
> TLR are identical
> the #0 copal and the #0 seiko exactly like for a
> view camera
> shutter... since the Japanese shuttters, to the best
> of my knowledge,
> although not at all identical internally to the
> Rollei 2.8 TLR #0
> synchro compur shutter, feature perfectly
> interchangeable dimensions
> for placing the iris and mounting lens elements
> (thread and
> front/back spacing).
>
> --
> Emmanuel BIGLER