[rollei_list] ADMIN: Tone of Posts

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:07:53 -0400

At 11:50 AM 4/12/2010, Peter K. wrote:

You are like a pit bull who will not let go. Look, I have made my points. Much of the romance around Rollei is BS. You really love to argue. If I said the sky was blue you would tell me I am really talking about the clouds and how Prochnow designed the first prototype cloud in 1954.

1. Rollei TLR sales were on a decline in the late 50s, this I believe due to the SLRs and companies like Mamiya and Yashica and other eating away at their market.

2. The threat of Hasselblad making an SLR was nonsense and something fabricated to make Rollei look better. Even after Rollei came out an SLR, Hasselblad never lived up their alleged threat and produced a TLR. So my opinion is that this is a legend and a lot of nonsense.

3. In 1963, the family council, concerned with dropping sales and production appointed a new Managing Director, Dr. Peesel. This did not happen overnight. It was the result of stupid decision making not not building a Rollei SLR or interchangeable lens TLR but instead building idiot products like the Rolleimot.

4. You pointed out that Heidecke died in 1960 and there was no successor because he could not find one. I gather you read this as you were only 4 years old when this happened so this is 3rd hand information from a book. In my opinion this statement is more BS. Many executives do not know how to groom a successor and fewer want to. They are egotistical. I have seen this several times first hand and not from a book.

It is my opinion, and I am not quoting anyone, that Rollei management was indeed aware their company was having issues with drops in sales but chose to ignore it. Eventually though it became too big to ignore. Its the same thing that happened at General Motors. Sales dropped year after year, they were building cars people were not buying and eventually it caught up with them and they went bankrupt. It did not happen overnight. Same for Rollei, it did not happen overnight. It is stupid decisions or lack of decisions that lead to lower sales, lower revenue, and eventually bankruptcy. And its not just companies, stupidity is elsewhere. Remember Argentina went through its IMF approved sovereign bankruptcy a few years back. Greece is narrowly avoiding bankruptcy now. Why? Stupid decisions and in some cases lack of decisions.

I do not worship Rollei and do not want to be the reincarnation of Prochnow, something you obviously want and need to be. You see I have a life, so I am putting paid to this discussion.

Peter

You will IMMEDIATELY cease posting nonsense to the Rollei List and you will immediately cease conducting personal attacks on other List members.

Intelligent discourse is fine. You are not engaging in intelligent discourse and you are simply refusing to read the careful and reasoned comments Carlos has been making.

You have been warned.

Marc James Small
Rollei List Owner

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx