[rollei_list] ADMIN: E-Mail Protocols

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:13:21 -0400

I own the Rollei List. That is, I run the List. There are two very active Moderators, Richard Knoppow and Eric Goldstein. Understand what this means. If one of us posts an ADMIN message, pray, cut your response to leave out the ADMIN line. I can use that. Eric and Richard can use that. So be it.

It really is pretty simple. We can use ADMIN. You guys cannot. A few of our members own Lists of their own to which I subscribe, and I would never be so brash as to respond to an ADMIN posting without cutting out the ADMIN part.

If one of us posts an ADMIN note, please do NOT respond blindly. Cut out the ADMIN part when responding. To be blunt, we do not welcome discussions of ADMIN policy on the List: if you really feel that we are being out of line, it is best to send a private e-mail to all three of us. The other two might well overrule me, and I shall almost certainly go with their rule.

But, in any event, when one of us posts an ADMIN, do not RESPOND to the ADMIN posting. Send us a private note if you want to argue about a policy position. We are open to discussion and I, at least, will cheerfully admit to the many mistakes I have made in running the Rollei List for almost twenty years. If someone else wants to run it, send me your CV.

I was ready to kill the List two years back for lack of activity and folks insisted it was still of worth. Go figure. Listen to the rules or else, take over the List. As things stand, ADMIN is limited to to myself and Eric and Richard and to the missing Stan Yoder, and to no one else. So, when you respond to an ADMIN posting, the proper way is to respond to the one of us who posted the ADMIN note. If you want to argue about the policy, well, again, private e-mail is the way to go.

I ought to have cut the recent discussion about the SL66 short and I failed to do so. I can only point out that in this I left the List down.

Marc James Small
Rollei List Owner

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!