[rollei_list] Re: ADMIN: Clipping Messages

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:44:37 -0700

At 08:37 PM 10/12/2005, Mark wrote, in part:

Pray, CLIP MESSAGES. This is both to promote clarity and to preserve
bandwidth, which is not a major issue but which remains a nagging minor
concern.  I am speaking of the text to which we are responding:  we should
clip this to the bare minimum to ensure that al understand the issue to
which we are responding.

There have been some complaints about clipping too much, with some folks saying that they lose context when messages are clipped. My approach is to turn the response into a conversation, clipping the unnecessary parts, and inserting the responses where they would normally fit.

To clip, simply block the text with your right mouse button, starting at
the point you wish to toss into the outer darkness, then carry the cursor
down to the last word you wish to throw out,  and let uip on the right
mouse button.

I have to use the left mouse button to highlight text for clipping, copying, or deleting, but whatever works for someone, stripping out the dross makes good sense and conserves bandwidth.

Then simply hit return, and the unwanted test disappears.
Voila!  We have a shorter text to read and clarity is made certain.

Makes sense to me.

All of us fail in this, so let's all pay attention to keepiong the quoted
text to the minimum necessary to establish the points to which we are
striving to respond.

Clarity in communications mandates brevity in communications.

I know not about Livy nor Tacitus but I think there is a message in there somewhere.

Failing to clip the messages to which we are responding produces a mystic
aura between verbiage and clarity.

Yup, but sometimes it is helpful.

Marc James Small
Rollei List Owner