[rollei_list] Re: A visit to Franke und Heidecke...OT Pianos

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:15:35 +0000 (GMT)

Excuse me for the off topic, but I'm a piano
aficionado too, I'll try to be brief.
While Steinweg-Steinway and four sons emigrated to the
States and established a piano factory in New York
around 1853 -from memory- the other son Theodor
Steinweg established his own factory in Germany, this
factory had several locations and the final location
was Braunschweig-Brunswick. Theodor also decided to
emigrate to America and then sold the factory to three
employees, one of them Friedrich Grotrian. There were
legal disputes between Grotrian and the
Steinweg-Steinway family about the name use and some
patents, finally (I think after 100 years of dispute),
Grotrian can use the name Grotrian-Steinweg in Europe
however only the name Grotrian in USA.
Grotrian has now a new piano factory in Braunschweig
producing high quality instruments. Steinway&Sons are
now a division from other bigger company in USA and
they manufacture thousands of musical instruments
including the famous grand piano, they have factories
around the world including New York and Hamburg, the
factory in Hamburg was founded on the XIXth century
Anyway there are other important cities in Germany for
pianos manufacture, Berlin (Bechstein and others),
Leipzig and also Dresden before the WWII.

BTW, to be on topic, this is my upright piano Gebr.
Zimmermann manufactured in Leipzig taken with the 2.8C
and scanned with my old scanner:
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/itar/image-61069.html

And this is the interesting Grotrian web page where
you can find a virtual tour about piano manufacture:

http://www.grotrian.de/start.htm

All the best
Carlos

 --- dnygr <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> I noticed your comment on other things made in
> Brauschweig.
>
> Maybe our German readers could confirm or better
> describe what is and what is not made there, but it
> is my impression--if memory serves me right--that
> Brauschweig also has been important in the
> production of pianos.
>
> I seem to recall that Theodor Steinweg (aka Steinway
> in the States) resided there. Theordor was important
> in developing the Steinway into what it is. He
> preferred to live in Europe rather than in New York.
> The Steinwegs had a connection with another piano
> maker, Grotrian.
>
> I seem to recall that the Grotrian-Steinweg piano
> was made and is still made in Braunschweig (known in
> the States as Brunswick. The piano is now called
> simply the Grotrian--probably due to struggles over
> the right to the name Steinway in the States.
>
> And I seem to recall that Schimmel pianos are made
> there now.
>
> Braunschweig, it would seem, was the seat of many
> valued objects--cameras and musical instruments. I
> have always thought of Southwest Germany was the
> location where many fine things are made, but
> Braunschweig diffently puts that idea to shame.
>
> Top of the day to you all--Doug

> with 'subscribe'
> in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org