[rollei_list] Re: A visit to Franke und Heidecke, then and now

I noticed your comment on other things made in Brauschweig.

Maybe our German readers could confirm or better describe what is and what is
not made there, but it is my impression--if memory serves me right--that
Brauschweig also has been important in the production of pianos.

I seem to recall that Theodor Steinweg (aka Steinway in the States) resided
there. Theordor was important in developing the Steinway into what it is. He
preferred to live in Europe rather than in New York. The Steinwegs had a
connection with another piano maker, Grotrian.

I seem to recall that the Grotrian-Steinweg piano was made and is still made in
Braunschweig (known in the States as Brunswick. The piano is now called simply
the Grotrian--probably due to struggles over the right to the name Steinway in
the States.

And I seem to recall that Schimmel pianos are made there now.

Braunschweig, it would seem, was the seat of many valued objects--cameras and
musical instruments. I have always thought of Southwest Germany was the
location where many fine things are made, but Braunschweig diffently puts that
idea to shame.

Top of the day to you all--Doug