[rollei_list] Re: "A direct vision viewfinder is more, er, direct" (was: Is your Rollei your only camera ?)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:46:17 -0500

On Monday, March 28, 2005, at 06:25  PM, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

> Nick Roberts wrote:
>
>> Maybe, Jerry - I consider that a direct vision viewfinder is more,
>> er, direct, though, and a camera such as a Leica allows me to be at
>> one with the subject, whereas a TLR allows me to compose the image -
>> if you can forgive such a pompous explanation.
>>
>> Nick
>
> Nick,
>
> If the subject is not a human being, maybe. When a photographer raises
> a camera to his face and points it at me, that intrudes. A non-human
> subject does not care, so you can use whatever.
>
> Jerry

All this is quite true, but then again, some of my best people shots
were taken with a Zorki Look-a-Leica when I was shooting from the hip,
as it were, not looking through the viewfinder at all - indeed looking
in a totally different direction from the people I was actually engaged
in photographing. (I got some superb casual shots of people in the
streets of Jerusalem, Israel in the late 60s that way - many Muslims,
and some Jews - the super-orthodox ones, mostly - often object to being
photographed.)

Cheers.