[rollei_list] A Regrettable Absence

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:28:43 -0400

I will be closing station at 0500 hours, Zone 5 summer time, tomorrow, and will not be online again until 10 SEP. To the astonishment of you digitally-enhanced folks, I do not own a lap-top or a Blackberry or an Iphone or Ipad or a Kindle or whatever; I do not afford such nonsense on my cell phone as texting. I might check in with my stepdaughter's computer but do not count on it. I am like a fine wine, and do not travel well, but this has to be done. And I might get to reconnect to my best friend from High School (last physical contact in 2000) and a former step-son (last physical contact in 2000, as well). Again, I do not travel well.

I have long been told to go to Maine, but it is so friggin' far that it is a lot easier to get to Wasilla, Alaska, where my son lives, to visit Sarah Palin than it is to get to Maine. It is a LONG way from the real US. We shall see. I have animal problems -- my neighbor will toss lettuce and cabbage over the fence to my lawn tortoises, and it takes LONG time for a herptile to starve, so our water turtles and fish and frogs will do okay. Our cats will be gifted a huge quantity of dry food and water in the garage -- and both are neighborhood pets, so they will not go hungry.

I have stopped the newspaper, and they neatly extended my subscription. I have had my mail held and I am horrified at the thought of what will come in during our absence.

In any event, I do want to see some things in Maine. I certainly will try to avoid those items fouled by the First Bitch, but I shall do my best to make this a positive experience. I really would like to see my ex-Stepson again but this makes me quite nervous as he sees it as a healing experience where I see it as a reconnection with a fellow whose head I held when he vomited into the downstairs toilet. I did a lot of bad things during my marriage to his mother, now dead, but, then, we made up before her death and I do own the archive of thousands of pictures of her. I probably ought to turn them over to him, but then, there is the issue of the Klepper Kayak. If I can negotiate his taking back the Kayak, the pictures become a calm item.

I am travelling light -- only six books and two cameras (a Canon Rebel DSLR (shock and horror!) and a Rollei 35S with two rolls of film, one C41 and one chrome and a fresh PX625 from my declining stock, kindly passed on to me from Noel Charchuk, who keeps trying to get me up to the Stampede, and two optical aids, a pair of Docter 10x,40mm Asph glasses (one of the three best all-round binoculars I own) and a Docter 8x,21mm folding TURMON monocular -- what other industrial product has been in continuous production since 1921? Eat your heart out, Henry Ford!)

You folks behave.  Eric and Richard will be on guard.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!