[rollei_list] Re: 6 x 9 search

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:09:15 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "SandyF." <sbf70@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 9:22 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 6 x 9 search

I'm probably showing my naivety, but has anyone considered the Mamiya Press w/65mm lens and the 6x9 back ... or even a Kodak Medalist?

S. B. Friedman, aka
SandyF  -----  Ö¿Ö¬

    I think this is the Mamiya camera I asked about.
The Medalist is limited to a single lens although its an excellent one. The main limitation is that it was made for 620 film. While one can have the camera modified (by Photography on Bald Mountain for instance) the job seems to be a touchy one and expensive. One can re-spool 120 film but that is a serious bother if you use the camera much. There are some cameras designed along the lines of 35mm rangefinder or SLR cameras which use 120 film. They are somewhat bulky and heavy but have interchangible lenses and may be suitable for certain kinds of photography where one wants a relatively large negative and some of the versitility of the 35mm camera. I see these for sale at local camera sales but have not investigated prices or lens availability. The old Graflex made rangefinder camera is reputedly excellent but was made for 70mm film, which is somewhat limiting in the range of emulsions available, plus it, and its lenses, are somewhat of collector's items now.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx