[rollei_list] Re: 500/5.6 Tele Tessar for SL66 Comments

Hi Mike -

I have a 500 5.6 Tele Tessar. It is a superb lens. It is a very good
compliment to the 150 and 250. Mine is in the original coatings but it comes
with a nice deep hood.  I can't comment about the flare characteristics
except that if there are no super hot sources in the field the freedom from
vail is very good. I have used it to take some long distance images with
great success. In most cases the limiting factor in resolution in distance
shooting will be the seeing conditions (atmospheric disturbance) and not the
lens. It is a "pre-set" lens and not an auto-diaphragm type - that is that
you have a second aperture ring that free-turns between the working stop and
wide open - really not a big deal with a lens of this type. To reveal the
on-film limits of the lens in a scan will require about a 250 meg file -
from my experience - so I won't be sending anything that big . . . my
service won't stand it. I can tell you that in a magic hour cityscape taken
over a lake in average seeing conditions it easily resolved the small gap
between the double entrance doors on our capitol building at a distance of
over 2 and 1/2 miles. This shot was used to make a 50 inch enlargment for a
board room wall and well achieved its desired effect.

I found a preliminary dusty scan of that shot on my hard drive (the finished
file is stored away and I don't have time to dig it out). I'll try to clean
it up a bit and send it to you as a reduced size jpg.

This lens wants a REAL tripod and head. It has its own tripod mount located
at a reasonably good balance point. To maximize sharpness I tend to shoot
mirror-up whenever I can. For following action I use some real sticks with a
good fluid head whenever I can. Hand holding at high shutter speeds . . .
well it is a 500 and like any really long lens it just depends on how well
the operator does.

I have used this lens for fashion shots and for theatrical shooting . . . it
has wonderful performance for such a long lens.

I hope you get it and enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Regards,

Tim