[rollei_list] Re: 2.8C shutter speed

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Kovacs" <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 4:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 2.8C shutter speed

You can see what Richard speaks of below, in an article I wrote a couple of years ago:

http://www.davidrichert.com/zeiss_521_16_compur_rapid_shutter.htm

This is a late 1940's era Compur Rapid shutter with the booster spring 1/500 and no flash synch. I can't really see why changing speeds while cocked is an issue. There is only a small amount of spring tension applied to the speed ring cam by the escapement post that rides in it when cocked.

Its the force of the spring on the speed ring thats pretty high. You can feel how much force is needed to move the speed ring to 1/500th when the shutter is cocked. My warning about jammed springs is not theoretical, I've had it happen. Going down from 1/500th is not a big deal but still takes some force.
BTW, these are _very_ good illustrations of the insides of the shutter.

Los Angeles, CA, USA