[rollei_list] Re: 2.8C shutter speed

  • From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:24:31 -0400

This advice arises from people forcing the top speed. Tell people to *never* change speeds when cocked, and they'll never change to 1/500 cocked.

"Then one day my shutter locked right up on me and needed full repair." Shutters don't lock up because the speed cam profile is worn, which is the only conceivable thing that changing the speeds after cocking might effect (and its not soft steel). 99% of the time they lock up because the pallet and star escapements get gummed up, or because oil or other debris gets into the shutter blades.

Richard Sintchak wrote:

Well, as I mentioned Paul Ebel describes it as "best practice". Certainly it seems one can change the shutter after it's cocked and I did for a while on my TLR. Then one day my shutter locked right up on me and needed full repair. Was that the reason? Hard to tell. But I certainly feel more "strain" as I try to change the shutter speed if the shutter is cocked vs when it's not. I imagine one could get away with it for years.....and then one day.....
I still do it sometimes but try not to now. Richard S.

On 10/5/06, *Allen Zak* <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hm.  Well, in that case I have been sinning against shutters for more
    than 50 years.  Perhaps it will catch up to me one day, but meanwhile
    it has been a good run. ;-)

    Allen Zak

    <mailto:eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote: Hello all,

    <mailto:rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>