[rollei_list] Re: 2.8 80mm Opton-Tessar

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:53:51 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Kovacs" <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 12:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 2.8 80mm Opton-Tessar

I agree with you 100%

I had one on loan for almost a year, 2.8A w/ Opton Tessar 80/2.8 and 1/500 Compur Rapid. It took great photos IMO. The front cell focus version on my 6x6 Super Ikonta wasn't bad either.

James & Christiane Thompson wrote:

Thanks for the information. As I mentioned, I am just curious if any "improvements" were made to the design. I am quite happy with the performance of my particular lens. Even wide open, this lens has useful applications, and actually isn't as poor a performer as ancient lore has led us to believe. For proof, type "Rolleiflex A, 2.8 Tessar" into the search engine at photo.net. There I have uploaded several images, several of which are at 2.8

Ciao,
Jim

I once asked if anyone had an Ikoflex III and if they would comment on the lens quality. I heard from only a few, after all the camera is pretty rare, but the quality seems to have been at least OK. Of course, the front cell focusing lens is an entirely different design. There is not a lot in the literature about front cell focus design, I think Kingslake has an article about it in one of his lens design books. Overall the correction must be compromised. The Super-Ikonta lens seems to be a particularly successful design. The Super-Ikonta B (the only one with an f/2.8 lens) also has an excellent rangefinder which, I suspect, has a lot to do with its reputation for sharpness.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx