[rollei_list] Re: 2.8 80mm Opton-Tessar

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:03:06 -0800

Thank you Carlos. Apparently the only 80mm F2.8 Tessar that people liked was
the one for the Hasselblad. In my references under the moniker "Lousy
Lenses" they state the following:

"One curious example is the f2.8 Tessar, liked in 50mm form but much less so
in the 80mm versionunless for the Hasselblad where it was admired!"

Since that Tessar came much later perhaps Zeiss' work on the earlier 80mm
F2.8 Tessar helped.  I did find that in 1931 Zeiss listed *a Tessar
*f2.850, 60, 75, 80mm This was designed by Merte. It is fairly common
and usually
really good but the original 80mm version for the 6x6cm Super Ikonta was
said to different and less liked by users. So it does coincide with
Richard's note about the Tessar on Zeiss' own cameras.

The only notation specifically for the Rollei 2.8A reads as follows:  "*Tessar
*f2.8 80mm for Praktisix SLR and a few were sold on Rollei cameras. This
seems to have been an old or pre-war design and was not up to the standard
expected. There seems to have been a close out in Jan. 1964. The f2.8 Tessar
had previously been a problem on the Rollei 2.8A in 1950-1951 when a batch
were sold with Tessars at No2,300,000-3,000,000, which are wartime or just
post-war numbers. Customers found these of poor quality and the factory
recalled them. Thus they became a real collectible through scarcity. A
little later Rollei supplied some cameras with Jena f2.8 80mm Biometars and
these were much more successful. [It is not known what happened to the
Tessar cameras, but they may have been rebuilt with Biometars and sold e.g..
in E. Germany but this is a uncertain.]"

Interesting comments about the possibility of 2.8A models being retrofitted
with Biometars, but no one knows for certain.

Peter K

On 11/14/06, Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Peter, I think Richard K explained several times a
possible cause: Tessar design limits, they
manufactured Tessar for 3 decades but never a Tessar
2.8/80 for the 6x6 format, it seems 2.8/80 is an
extreme design limit for this lens type and then the
optical design and glasses must be very exact. Zeiss
manufactured the Tessar 2.8/60 for the 4x4 however the
increased focal length from 60mm to 80mm increased the
problems too and it seems they could solve the main
design problems for 1938 when Rollei started to
develop the 2.8A prototype, but you know this lens
never was %100 satisfactory, for the reasons Richard K
explained several times .-

All the best
Carlos

=== message truncated ===