[rollei_list] Re: 1931 Baby Rollei - several questions

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:52:56 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "James & Christiane Thompson" <jcthompson@xxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:36 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] 1931 Baby Rollei - several questions

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a very early and very used Baby Rollei (3.5/6cm.). Among other problems that require my attention, the shutter appears to be a total loss. I tried fixing the shutter myself, but all attempts failed. Thus, I sent the shutter off to have it repaired by a professional. Unfortunately, he said that the shutter cannot be fixed (which has nothing to do with my attempt).
As I see it, I basically have two options: 1. buy another compur shutter, or 2. replace the shutter with something better (and which I already have). I was thinking that if I need to replace the shutter, why not upgrade to a Compur-rapid or Syncho-compur. They appear to have similar dimensions, and the 3.5/6cm. lens does thread into the Compur-rapid shutter on my Rolleiflex X. Has anyone ever tried to exchange a Compur for a Compur-rapid or perhaps a Prontor? Would the lens elements have the proper spacing? I would just try it out, but the Rolleiflex X works just fine apart from having an Agfa Solinar lens, thus I would want to use it for parts. If this swap isn't feasible, what other cameras have the same size Compur as the Baby Rollei?

On an unrelated note, does anyone (preferably in Europe) have a lenshood for a Rolleiflex A, 2.8/80?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Jim

Did the shutter guy give you any idea of what is wrong with the shutter. There ARE things which can't be fixed, at least without a source of parts, for instance bent or torn shutter or diaphragm blades or completely missing parts. I suspect some people who work on shutters do only fairly simple jobs and don't want to get into them too deeply. Any clues at all?

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx