[rollei_list] Re: 120 Film flatness, Rollei TLR plane glass, etc ..

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:42:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:02 AM, hari ho <hariho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've read that a roll of film should be used within a day once it has
been loaded into a Rollei TLR because of the effect of film curl.
Some even say it should be within an hour or two. But then I've also
read that it doesn't matter. Also, does it affect the film flatness
of a particular frame if the film is advanced immediately after
shooting the preceding frame? Or is it better to advance the film
just before shooting? Any expert opinions on this issue?

Just thinking about it.
The film is stretched through a channel, constrained between the rollers at both ends. one roller is free to rotate, subject to the constraints of friction, and the other roller is fixed to the advance mechanism. I would expect the film to be at its flattest, immediately after it has been rolled on, and that there is a possibility for it to creep forward subsequently by fractions of a mm, leading to a slight loss of planarity.This is modeling the film purely as a tape under tension.
In thinking about the effects of the natural curl of the film, I cant see any reason for preferring a specific time to advance the film, as even if you assume the film will flatten out when left, its its hard to picture the disposition of the film either before or ater such a process.

All the best
Laurence Cuffe