[roc-chat] Re: On board Video?

  • From: John Howard <John.Howard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:09:06 -0800

Yes it was me. I bought one "the older model" on Amazon for brand new  @$125. I
have plans for it and may buy one or two more. But they do weigh more than
others, and need a larger body rocket. But much more suited to rockets that the
GoPro's. Contour has new models that are somewhat water proof, have gps
recording, remote playback/viewing to iPhone app, etc. The older models have
about a 50% discount right now!

BUT !!!! The new ones ONLY record HD video at 30fps. The older model is same
form factor but will shoot 1280p 1280x720 pixels at 60fps, and 1080p 1920x1070
at 30fps. IMHO the 60fps is much better for rocketry, as there are more frames
for launches, etc. The camera also has a much wider angle lens than the
keychain cams. Plus all video and animation I do at home/work is 1280p video.

Some of the video in Richards Delta launch was just shot on the ground hand
holding the Contour HD.

I used two of the keychain cams in a bay on my 5.5" L2 Goblin in June and they
were great. My son just taped one to his rocket and worked great. I'll still
use these on some rockets, but I want higher res and more fps for some upcoming
builds.

John

Sent from my old iPhone