[riscosweb] Re: Met Office

In message <gemini.j9n7ed0017oke02jg.vince@xxxxxxxxxx>
          VinceH <vince@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2 Dec 2006, Chris Terran wrote:
>
> > The redesigned Met Office site:
> >
> >   http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
> >
> > is now unusable without Javascript.
>
> > Previously the site was fine in non-JS browsers, only using it
> > for animation effects, which is fair enough. But now, as far as
> > I can see you can't access most information at all without JS.
> > Not even a simple UK forecast. There is no text-only version.
> > The only way I've found to get some information in NetSurf is to
> > click on the map for a particular location; no other 'links'
> > work.
>
> AFAICT there isn't that much javascript in use on that page and
> the couple of others I've looked at.

The trouble is that the *page content* depends on JS. Even if you can
get to a forecast page, you can't see the relevant content unless JS is
enabled. Try disabling JS in Firefox and you'll see the problem.

[snip]

Best, Chris

--
*** Chris & Lee's Photodesk tutorials, tips and resources
*** http://www.photodesk.iconbar.com *** New tiles!