[riscosweb] Browsers not responding to charset=ISO-8859-2

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh_lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscosweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:44:49 +0000 (GMT)

In article <45586E6E.4090105@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthew
Somerville <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The server could be sending out any type of document,
> with perhaps no way of specifying encoding in the body
> (text files, for example). And when you think about it,
> it's a bit weird having it in the document - as the
> charset specifies the encoding for the whole document
> (including the heading), how does the computer know what
> encoding to read the body in first in order to find out
> what encoding to use? :) It might be okay for simple
> encodings like ISO-8859-*, but I can see it being a bit
> of a nightmare.

Nevertheless, the W3C validator does require (or did last
time I validated some pages) a line such as <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-2"> .

If the charset declaration is not there, then the validator
tells you to go away and put one in the page and only then
come back to try and validate the HTML.

Orpheus internet tells me that the server is upposed to work
in exactly the way I suggested - the  ISO-8859-1 header is
meant to be a default, but allowing itself to be overriden
by my charset=ISO-8859-2 declaration.

But it clealy is not happening.

Paul Vigay is investigating...

--
Russell Hafter
(Literally) on the edge of the Lake District National Park