[riscosweb] Browsers not responding to charset=ISO-8859-2

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh_lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscosweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:48:51 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4E84114E7F%mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx>, Mik Towse
<mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4555A6EF.3080304@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Matthew
> Somerville wrote:

> > Russell Hafter - Lists wrote:
> > > Any ideas why this would be>
> > Your server is returning the following HTTP header for
> > that page:

How do you find that out? I did not know that servers did
anything of the kind! Surely it would make more sense for
the document head to override a generalised server supplied
charset declaration?

> > which overrides anything you give in a meta element in
> > the HTML. You will need to alter your server
> > configuration to serve the correct charset in the
> > header.

Or, in my case, talk to Paul Vigay at Orpheus which bosts
the website.

As the page at <http://www.cycling-in-germany.co.uk/lab.htm>
which is hosted by Lycos and also has in the document head
correctly. So presumably they let the webpage deal with the
charset declaration?

> I can't remember, but was there a 'xml' encoding at the
> top of the page? This would override the meta tag, too.

No, there is no mention of xml anywhere on any of my

Thanks for the advice so far!

Russell Hafter
Mailing Lists
rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxxx or rh_lists@xxxxxxxx
(Literally) on the edge of the Lake District National Park