[riscos-printing] Re: Need a Printer

  • From: Tim Hill <smartgroups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:14:40 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4f3cd57871dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> The quality of the examples I was given were okay but not exceptional,
> however the paper problem was for me an immediate nono, as I need to
> use a mixture of both  glossy and matt papers in my work.

I find the best general laser photo results from RISC OS come on high
quality heavy paper or card. (If the printer is working properly.)

Obviously, and to do the job properly, laser printers needs specific
laser photo gloss paper and this (I was told) is suitable only for
single-pass printers, as is acetate which can give excellent results with
photos when it is then mounted on white card. We should always buy the
appropriate branded consumables for the best results. i.e., HP laser
photo paper and HP toner carts for an HP laser.

Buy the wrong pattern part and you can end up with magenta toner all over
the inside of your printer, or labels on a drum, but no magenta on the
paper!!! Bugger!! Why do I listen to the people who advocate buying
cheap alternatives to branded replacements?! Grrr.

No printer will make a bad photo look good, but a bad printer can make a
good photo still 'interesting'.   ;-)

You may need Windows to tell a postscript printer about the paper type
which means you're better off printing from there too for the best
results and access to all the other bells and whistles. (Though with HP
you need to hide some of the Toolbox software from Windows because it
gobbles up processor ticks just by sitting and waiting for a message
from the printer. The Windows eqivalent of hogging RISC OS Wimp Poll 0.)
--
Tim Hill,

www.timil.com

... "If I must die, I will encounter darkness as a bride, and hug it in mine
arms" M for M, Act iii, Ac.1