[riscos-printing] Re: HP CP1515n

  • From: John Bryan <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:06:03 GMT

In message <5272f4ab63brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Brian Carroll <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <3456db7252.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter
> Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I need to replace my Xerox Phaser, as it's become seriously
>> unreliable. I'm interested in the HP CP1515n which CJE sell,
>> and will almost certainly buy this, as I will then know it
>> will work with RISC OS. However, I need to have it
>> network-attached using RemotePrinterFS. I have the Phaser
>> connected this way at present, but I rather founder in
>> attempts to get RPFS set up correctly, and needed quite a bit
>> of help over getting the Phaser connected. Any hints as to
>> how to get this new printer connected would be very
>> gratefully received.

> I have had one of these printers in use for about 2 years[1]. It
> is networked entirely straightforwardly by plugging it to a spare
> router port. (It also connects reliably by USB; Windows XP &
> RiscPC - don't know about Iyonix).

> I use Postscript3 to connect to RISC OS using the following
> string in !Printers/Config/Connections to send to a file:

>  RemotePrinterFS#proto=JetDirect;host=hp_laser;port=9100;buffer=yes:
> [2]

> You need to add Stefan Bellon's RemotePrinterFS to somewhere like
> !Boot.Choices.Users.Single.Boot.PreDesk which preumably you have
> already done.

> Ask for more info directly if you need to.

> Brian.

> [1] You can add extra memory.  Read the manual pp88-91.  Buy from
> dealer (eg Misco) not HP.  Great saving!

> [2] You must us a fixed address, even if you use dynamic
> addressing for your computers. 'hp_laser' is the entry in the
> hosts file, but you can use the IP quad-dot address instead.

My HP Color LaserJet CP1514n is networked by the router connected to
my Iyonix OS 5.16 using Stefan Ballon's RemotePrinterFS but using:

    RemotePrinterFS#proto=LPD;address=10.0.0.11;queue=PS;buffer=yes:

The 10.0.0.11 is the address that I fixed to the printer from the
printer's menu screen to avoid my Packard Bell machine confusing
itself on start up.

This works perfectly with Postscript 2 and upgraded Postscript 3.
The only problem I had was mono printing at the start but then
discovered the colour option in !Printers "shift-click" control panel
not being ticked.

I must admit being somewhat thinking networking being a dark art but
really is a logical address allocation system.
--
John Bryan