[riscos-printing] Re: HP CP1515n

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:20:06 GMT

On 19 Mar 2012  Brian Carroll <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <3456db7252.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter
> Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I need to replace my Xerox Phaser, as it's become seriously
>> unreliable. I'm interested in the HP CP1515n which CJE sell,
>> and will almost certainly buy this, as I will then know it
>> will work with RISC OS. However, I need to have it
>> network-attached using RemotePrinterFS. I have the Phaser
>> connected this way at present, but I rather founder in
>> attempts to get RPFS set up correctly, and needed quite a bit
>> of help over getting the Phaser connected. Any hints as to
>> how to get this new printer connected would be very
>> gratefully received.

> I have had one of these printers in use for about 2 years[1]. It
> is networked entirely straightforwardly by plugging it to a spare
> router port. (It also connects reliably by USB; Windows XP &
> RiscPC - don't know about Iyonix).

> I use Postscript3 to connect to RISC OS using the following
> string in !Printers/Config/Connections to send to a file:

>  RemotePrinterFS#proto=JetDirect;host=hp_laser;port=9100;buffer=yes:
> [2]

Very many thanks, Brian; this is just what I need, and probably
wouldn't have worked it out myself. I owe you a drink any time you're
in Cheltenham!

> You need to add Stefan Bellon's RemotePrinterFS to somewhere like
> !Boot.Choices.Users.Single.Boot.PreDesk which preumably you have
> already done.

Yes, that's where I have RemotePrinterFS, and it works excellently
with the Phaser, when the Phaser itself works, but with a very
different string.

> Ask for more info directly if you need to.

I will surely do, thanks, but I think I have enough to go on now.

> Brian.

> [1] You can add extra memory.  Read the manual pp88-91.  Buy from
> dealer (eg Misco) not HP.  Great saving!

May well do that.

> [2] You must us a fixed address, even if you use dynamic
> addressing for your computers. 'hp_laser' is the entry in the
> hosts file, but you can use the IP quad-dot address instead.

I use fixed addresses, and keep getting conflicting advice about the
Hosts file, so I've been using the numeric address for the Phaser, so
would do this for the new printer when it arrives.

Many thanks again,

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /                 \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.