[resflash] resflash 5.8.2 supports UEFI boot in 5.8-current and newer, and announcing resflash-tools

  • From: Brian Conway <bconway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: resflash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:47:39 -0500

Greetings true believers, I just pushed a new update to resflash that
enables UEFI boot on 5.8-current and newer. There are no knobs to use
this, it will be enabled if the sets used to create your OpenBSD
base_dir support it, and will create an EFI System Partition (ESP)
before the main OpenBSD partition. Partitioning is still done via MBR,
so the image produced will be bootable in either native UEFI mode or
in BIOS/CSM mode.

A few caveats:
- OpenBSD UEFI support is still under heavy development and is not
guaranteed to work on all hardware. Also, I'm unable to get serial
console output working yet on any of my hardware.
- Support is subject to change as GPT support in OpenBSD evolves, but
I'm hoping not to break out images into separate UEFI and BIOS images.

Also, I've released a set of sample tools for building and configuring
resflash images called resflash-tools:

https://github.com/bconway/resflash-tools

Brian Conway
Software Engineer, Owner