Internet Explorer - Prevent Changing of Home Page

  • From: "Registry Answers" <regtips@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Registry Answers" <regtips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:53:13 -0500

Registry Answers

Due to demand, I am increasing the font size to 12 point beginning with this
issue
I do read all your emails and listen.  If you have any suggestions, feel free
to email.
regtips@xxxxxxxxxx?Subject=feedback

Registry Answers assumes a basic understanding of the Registry. If you do not
feel confident working with  the registry or
would like to learn it from the ground up in plain english, then consider an
ebook, such as Registry for Newbies.
http://newbieclub.com/rfncopy/?vic

For other Windows tips, subscribe to Wintips&Tricks
//www.freelists.org/webpage/wintips

or join the Yahoo Support group for personal help with your computer problems.

If you are into digital photography, check out the Snap Fish
listing on the Yahoo Page above and get 20 free quality prints.
Highly rated.

For  Inkjet replacement cartridges, Mr Inkman gives
the best guarantee. And low prices too.
http://www.mrinkman.net/index.cfm?pid=1814586

ABC
http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc/authors.htm#vic

TechTrax
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMFrame.asp?CMD=ArticleSearch&AUTH=7

Internet Explorer - Prevent Changing of Home Page

by Vic Ferri

Question:
Is there some way by the registry where I can prevent my children from
continously changing our set home page in Internet Explorer.
They know that it can be done by dragging a page icon to the home button and
also by going to Internet Options
so I am hoping  there is a way to prevent both methods from being used by some
registry edit because the registry
is one area they don't know about whatsoever.  I am using IE 6 and Windows XP
Home edition.

Answer:
This is a frequently asked question and the answer is Yes.
Both methods of changing the Internet Explorer home page can be disabled with a
simple registry edit.

First, close all IE Windows.

Then click  Start>Run and type regedit
Click OK and  navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

In the right hand pane, right click a blank area and choose New>DWORD value

Name it  HomePage

Double click it and assign it a Value data of 1

Exit the registry and then test the result by opening IE and trying to change
your home page.
You should not be able to.
If you try to drag a page icon to the Home button, a circle with an X will
appear indicating the move isn't possible.
If you click Tools>Internet Options>General tab, you will see that the home
page entry and associated buttons to make changes
are greyed out,

Notes:

To re-enable the ability to change your home page, just change the registry
value from 1 to 0.

If all the keys are not present under the Policies key you can create them.
For example if all you have is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\
you would right click the Polices key and choose New Key and name it Microsoft
Then under Microsoft, you would create another key
named Internet Explorer and then under Internet Explorer
you would create a third key named Control Panel so that if you copied the key
name you wouild end up with:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

The location of the home page entry in the registry is at this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

The string value Start Page in the right hand side contains the url of your
home page
This is handy to know in the event that your home page is changed through the
registry.
If that were to happen while you have the changing of your home page disabled,
the new url
entered  would take over and it would then become that page that you cannot
change in the normal way.

vic

If you have any feedback or questions or tips you would like to have considered
for submission. email them to:
regtips@xxxxxxxxxx?Subject=feedback

Printing Supplies
http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/printersupplies.htm