[regional_school] Re: Naming of our School

  • From: NSMULTER@xxxxxxx
  • To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:02:14 EDT

Shortened versions of a name:
"Easy to remember and easy to spell," also reflects simple and  short, "to
the point," and easy to say.  But we also need to  consider what the
shortened version of our complete name might be.  If  we don't supply one, our
public will!  A shortened  version, whether it's an acronym, initials or one
word of the name  needs to be crisp, like SOTA, and free of any negative  spin.
 Both our complete name and our shortened version need  to "roll of the
tongue."  A name with a ring is easily  remembered.

One application:  As much as I love the idea of using the concept  of
discovery in our name, using "school" and "discovery"  together might be an
awkward alliteration?  And .. DS or SOD could  easily reflect negative
connotations - darn!

If our name starts with Rochester, we need to be careful  that our initials
don't sound - or look - too much like  RCSD.  Also, consider if using
"Rochester" or "Monroe" creates an  acronym or initials that are strikingly
similar to others already  prominent.

Other thoughts and musings:
In the spirit of brainstorming, we've uncovered some powerful words -  -
some emotion laden, some that could come across  as pretentious or
condescending, and some that could be  used to belittle attending students.

To convey our "vision" and "message" in a way that  is solid and specific,
we need to avoid  reflecting too contemporary a spin.  Also, catchy is good,
 but we don't want to sound cute.

Keeping with the city schools' association with the names of distinguished
people could be a good idea. Using a name like School of  Experiential
Education (which has a flow and an  easy acronym with a message - SEE ), or
Community  School, or Regional School could be attached  to ANY historical name
- John Dewey, Susan B. Anthony, etc. or contemporary  - Cala, Obama....

I strongly agree with comments in emails below:
-  careful not to choose a name that makes the school sound  too different
-  ... it needs to have a name that is strong and  simple
-  school will serve K-12  (most teens &  preteens don't want to attend a
school with "child" in the title)
-  check out the initials .. for an unfortunate word

Nancy Stanton MUuter

In a message dated 4/8/2009 11:26:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jwerner3@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Good  thoughts.  Just another thought on naming...I think we should be
careful  not to choose a name that makes the school sound too different.  In
order  for the general public or skeptics to consider embracing the school it
needs  to have a name that is strong and simple.  I think if there is too
much  focus on the freedom students will have some may perceive that as a
weakness  or loss of control.  I just think we should be careful to not turn
people  off before they are ever turned on.

Jenny Murphy

____________________________________
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:28:59 -0400
Subject: [regional_school] Re: Naming  of our School
From: snimeh@xxxxxxxxx
To:  regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Two more suggestions:
1. Remember the school will serve K-12. The name  should not sound just
like an elementary school, which would be off-putting to  city teen-agers.
Eighteen year olds need to be able to say the name with  pride.
    2. In the same vein, we should check out the initials  of our choices.
Many choices did so, but not all. Sometimes the initials make  an
unfortunate word.

Sharon Nimeh

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. _Check it
out._
(http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Storage1_042009)
  =

recession.