[regional_school] Re: Herb Kohl on Reading

  • From: "Ellen Weber" <eweber1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:08:00 -0400

Hey Hussain and Josie, Thanks and you raised a wonderful point, Hussain! Bravo
-- it's much like the way the Regional team is linking heart and mind to help
Bill Cala build the school!

And yes,  there is current research to back the connections you addressed here.
Mind and heart connections involve multiple ways of knowing, taking more
advantage of distinctive brain parts such as the amygdala, acting ethically
through engaging reflective areas of the brain, and many other practical links
where heart and mind integrate to create solutions. It's much the same way
knowledge integrates to provide answers to pressing problems learners face in
dynamic roundtables.

Not sure I have ever addressed this mind/heart connection directly in an
article -- but I will do so soon now that you mentioned it. Or perhaps others
here have done so. Interestingly, in some countries we work within (especially
Singapore and China) brain experts would shift our attention to the
mind/stomach connection - and there is also current research to  show how brain
chemicals link brain to stomach for positive or negative results. Nuff said -
but I agree with your extensions and no wonder learners benefit from working
with rather than against their brains:-)

Stay blessed! Ellen

Ellen Weber (PhD)
Director - MITA International Brain Based Center
PO Box 347, Pittsford, NY 14534
MITA Brain Leaders and learners  blog: www.Brainleadersandlearners.com
MITA Brain Based Center Web Site  at www.mitaleadership.com

        From: Ellen Weber <eweber1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 11:54 AM

        Hi all, Innovative ideas coming across this network often inspire my
day - which leads me to challenge your thoughts about the Regional School
today:-)

        I've been thinking about this question: What if the Regional School
sidestepped "No Child Left Behind" limitations,  by launching a practical plan
for "No Brain Left Behind"  and applied  even 25 brainpower tools to
reconfigure learning and assessments with the brain in mind?

        Imagine escalated motivation and achievement  for learners at every
level with no brain left behind.  See http://twurl.nl/0lzmlh

        Your turn ...?  Ellen

        MITA Brain Based Center Web Site  at www.mitaleadership.com